Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Funemployment Foiled

After a long hiatus, the real world looms (insert horrific scream here). Although it defies my better judgment, I must leave funemployment behind for the promise of financial stability, parental approval and the fulfillment societal norms.

Two years ago, I made the decision to retreat to the academic world because I felt I needed to come up for air and take inventory. After my undergraduate studies, I spent four years drowning my former life and self in my career and I decided it was about time I try to rediscover “me”. Pursuing a professional graduate degree may have been the only legitimate means of taking a two-year vacation. I can think of no other circumstances under which my family, friends and even my employer would encourage me to quit my job and take out $100k in loans in which to support myself. Now, truth be told, business school was not all fun and games – I did have to work my ass on off on occasion – but in comparison to my former employed existence, it was a picnic. But like all good things, this chapter in my life is coming to a close and I must return to my maniacal life as a management consultant in just three short weeks.

The last two years have been everything that I hoped that would be, and although I may not be overjoyed to return to employment, I do feel that I am ready, armed with renewed priorities and a sense of self. This new blog will trace my steps as I make my transition, keep me honest, and if nothing else give me an opportunity to bitch about all the things I find annoying in my life, my job and the world at large.

I have (less than religiously) maintained a public, non-anonymous blog over the past couple of years but now that I am rejoining a world where a pretense of professionalism is required, I have decided that a pseudonym is in order. Nice to meet you, you can call me Dani.

No comments:

Post a Comment